Houston is a large city in the eastern part of Texas, extending to Galveston Bay. Houston is known for being the most populated city in Texas and the fourth largest in the United States. Founded in 1836, the city was named after General Samuel Houston, who was president of the Republic of Texas and had commanded and won at the Battle of San Jacinto.
Fun Facts About Houston:
- The Houston-Galveston-Brazoria Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area or Houston (CMSA) is only slightly smaller than the state of MA and is larger than New Jersey
- The current population is about 4.1 million.
- The Houston CMSA consists of 8 total counties including, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller
- There are about 40 colleges and universities that call Houston home.
- 23 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in Houston and 63 have a presence in Houston.
- Houston has professional sports teams in the following: Football (Texans), Baseball (Astros), Men’s Basketball (Rockets), Soccer (Dash), and Softball (Scrap Yard Dawgs)